The phone must be a MetroPCS GSM Phone.
- MetroPCS CDMA Phones cannot be reprogrammed by MetoPCS and are excluded from this unlock policy. It is the responsibility of the compatible carrier to reprogram the MetroPCS CDMA deviceâ€™s internal settings to work on their network.
- Unlocked phones can only use networks of the same type. For example, an unlocked GSM-only phone will only work with another carrierâ€™s compatible GSM network. It will not work with another carrierâ€™s CDMA network.
- Unlocking your phone does not guarantee that the phone will fully work with all of a competing carrierâ€™s services and features.
Your handset must have had active service for a minimum of ninety (90) consecutive days from the individual phoneâ€™s activation date.
Note: For warranty exchange handsets, the original phoneâ€™s activation date counts as the beginning of the ninety (90) days, not the activation date of the warranty exchange handset.
Unlocking the MetroPCS GSM Phone
To unlock your MetroPCS GSM Phone, do the following:
- Contact MetroPCS Customer Service or visit a MetroPCS Corporate Store and request the unlock code for the phone. You must provide:
- The phone number of the handset you are unlocking
- The name on the account
- The account billing PIN
- A valid email address
- The agent will verify whether your phone qualifies for the unlock code.
- When it qualifies, the agent will create the request for the unlock code.
- Typically within two to three business days, MetroPCS will send you a confirmation email with the unlock code of the phone.
About Deploying Military Personnel
Military personnel who are pending deployment do not have to meet the service requirement described in the previous section. To receive the unlock code for their MetroPCS GSM phone, military personnel (or family members) must do the following:
- Visit a MetroPCS Corporate Store with their deployment papers.
- At the store, the agent will provide them with their options.
- Once requested, MetroPCS will send the customer a confirmation email containing the unlock code for the phone.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do I need an unlock code for my phone?
You may need an unlock code in order to use your current phone with another carrier, whether to use a different service or travel internationally.
- When can I request the unlock code for my phone?
You can request the unlock code after 90 consecutive (continuous) days of phone service with MetroPCS.
- Why do I have to wait 90 consecutive days?
As a pay in advance service provider, this helps us reduce fraud and misuse of service. This is in line with industry standards for pay in advance services.
- When does the service requirement (90 consecutive days) start?
The service requirement begins from you phoneâ€™s activation date. The first day your phone is active with MetroPCS counts as day 1. Please note that your phoneâ€™s activation date is different from your accountâ€™s activation date.
Note: For warranty exchange phones, the activation date is the date of the phone you originally purchased, not the activation date of your warranty exchange handset.
- I had MetroPCS service for 30-days; afterward I disconnected service for 30-days, and finally reactivated service with MetroPCS for 60-days. Am I eligible to receive the unlock code?
No. To receive the unlock code, your phone must be active for a minimum of 90 consecutive (continuous) days.
- During the 90-day period, my account was suspended. Can I still receive my phoneâ€™s Unlock Code?
Yes. You are eligible as long as your accountâ€™s billing is current, and was not disconnected during the 90-day time period.
- Is there a fee for requesting an unlock code?
No. There is no fee to request the unlock code.
- How long will it take me to receive my unlock code?
Typically, you will receive your phoneâ€™s unlock code within two to three business days.
- What should I do when I do not have an email address?
To receive the unlock code, you must provide a valid email address. At no charge, you can create an email account with any of the major email providers (Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo, etc). We will send the unlock code to that email address. If you are unable to create an email account, call our customer service after three business days for the status of your request.
- What happens when I do not receive the email with my unlock code?
If you meet the requirements, you will receive the unlock code within two to three business days. If you do not receive are response after this time, please contact MetroPCS Customer Service. The agent will research your request. To ensure that you receive your unlock code, please be sure to check your emailsâ€™ spam or junk mail settings.